Just before I became pregnant with our first child, I really started paying attention to the products I used. I was surprised to learn many of them contained harsh ingredients. I’ve been learning and altering my routine and products ever since. Before buying anything, I check the product on EWG’s Skin Deep database. It is free to use, and reviews thousands of products. I try to only buy products rated 0-2, which is the least toxic, with a 3 sneaking in there every once in a while. If a product is not on EWG, I will create a custom report, which is super easy.
Everybody’s skin needs and budgets are so different, but this is what I have found works for me (for now!). In case it helps, I have somewhat dry, very fair skin. Here is the breakdown:
1. Acure Organics Facial Cleansing Cream Olive + Mint. This face wash is gentle, creamy and smells like a spa. (EWG 2)
2. Acure Organics Argan Oil. I love using argan oil on my face and my hair. It has almost no scent, goes on smoothly and absorbs quickly. I apply this before my moisturizer. (EWG 0)
3. First Aid Beauty Dual Repair Eye Cream. I have circles under my eyes no matter what. This product really does help with that—the best I’ve ever used. (EWG 3)
4. Devita Solar Block SPF 30. This sunscreen is not too thick or white and moisturizes very well. Even though it is meant for body use, I like to use it on my face and neck, too. (Devita has a face formula, but I don’t like the consistency). Don’t pile it on too heavily or it will leave white patches. (EWG 1)
5. Tom’s of Maine toothpaste. This isn’t skin care of course, but I brush my teeth after applying moisturizer so it has time to soak in before applying make up. (EWG 1)
6. DeodoMom cream deodorant. I’ve tried so many kinds of natural deodorant and none of them work for me—until now. This is a miracle product. You apply it like a cream, which takes a few days to get used to, but now I love it. It also seems to moisturize and soften your underarms. I’ve yet to use it during a hot Florida summer, so I’ll let you know if I feel differently then. It also comes in a roll-on version, but I have not tried it. Worth every penny. (EWG 0).